Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Emperor Is In Fact, Naked

Art covers a wide range of expression. Some may regard artistic expression as the ultimate form of self-indulgence. When I paint or dance I cannot escape that I enjoy expressing myself in these ways. However, I don't impose my expression on others. I don't shove my paintings on the wall of another artist's exhibition. I do not get up and perform my dance on someone else's stage. I do not go to an exhibition and make a point of denigrating the artist. I look, I absorb. I consider. It either appeals to me subjectively, or it does not. It may appeal to me as an investment or I may acknowledge the artistic expression offered as something that although not appealing to me, may appeal to others. Either way, the artist is treated with respect.

Recently I have been to some events organised to recognise different artists. One was the MachinimUWA awards. The entries were excellent, each different in their own way. The sheer work in developing a machinima has to be recognised.. from original storyboard, to sourcing visuals, filming, editing and music score.

Another event was the M Linden art exhibition. Here the artist's work was shipped for exhibit at the UWA real life University Campus, as well as shown in SL in the Lawrence Wilson Art Gallery on the UWA SL Campus. At the RL event, the works were considered by a broad range of people, from artists, to curators and art critics. In Sl they were offered to a broader range of people.

At both events in SL a self-proclaimed 'performance artist' placed his/her 'art' over the art being exhibited, imposing a totally self-indulgent need for attention and 'look at ME' on the clearly disinterested. It is my belief that the self-proclaimed 'performance artist' would be better employed staging their own exhibition which will then either stand or fall on its merits. Given the yawn-worthy nature of what has been seen so far, I predict an ass bruising fall.

Having witnessed first hand some of the 'Marsha Marsha Marsha' bleatings of this particular attention-seeker at events honoring artists I conclude that labelling 'middle child syndrome as 'performance art' is not fooling anyone other than the self-proclaimed 'performance artist'. In short dear, the emperor/ess is naked and showing cellulite.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe the title should be "The Emperor only Sees Themself in the Mirror". The act of upstaging and disturbing fellow artist or anyone for that matter to draw attention to one self is far from self serving in the long run. I have seen this artist pieces and they do the serve the purpose that they where created for. But the surrounding act to draw attention to the art is a true disservice to this art and to the individuals that it is forced upon

    ReplyDelete
  2. to me it is hitching the mediocre to the excellent in a sadly desperate bid for recognition. Performance art is what I seek out.. not what someone shoves in my face when I am busy with something else. I have children to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Performance art is what I seek out.. not what someone shoves in my face when I am busy with something else. I have children to do that."

    Claps!

    ReplyDelete