Friday, March 12, 2010

Famous, Rich & Homeless for 10 days

Truly *holds hand to heart* I swear I am sooo NOT a fan of reality TV shows. I mean, if I want reality I can turn of my TV and 'puter and wade through the pile of sheer crap interspersed with bills that masquerade as mail so conscientiously deposited in my mailbox daily. Having said that I now add a qualifier. When I saw the shorts for 'Famous, Rich and Homeless' in which five celebrities are made to live the life of the homeless for 10 days and 10 nights on the streets of London, well, I couldn't resist. I settled onto my comfy couch with a cuppa and prepared to be, if not educated, at the very least entertained. The show did not disappoint.

There were a few notable and even comedic moments. The so-called marquis of blandford or was that the marquis of bland? (read chinless wonder) whined and whinged like a developmentally challenged tot, regularly turned an unbecoming shade of 'terrible two's tantrum red' and phoned his poor wife to wail- 'it's not FUN'. Not much decent breeding in THAT camp. If he wasn't hiding behind the title and with his junkie past behind him he'd be a cert to be a welfare case. The funniest thing.. he spent the first night in a five star hotel, tucked into hot meals, did the next night in an hotel and then after yet another dummy spit shambled off home dragging his full nappy and leaving the smell of babypoo in his wake.

This guy claims to be a descendant of Winston Churchill... *considers this* ... well, yeeeees, he does have the bluster and the portly look but is bereft of the wit, manners, intelligence and courage. Genetics are a curious science to be sure. Saddest thing is apparently this guy has actually managed to persuade someone to breed his offspring. The House of Lords is NOT in good hands. I think he needs to be popped into the House of Tiny Tearaways to be 'growded' up a bit more.

The next 'class act' was some dude who apparently acted in an English show called Coronation Street which I gather is a soapie. It seems this guy has been on it long enough to qualify for some kind of public service superannuation (bet he's got a bunch of brown suits and anoraks in his wardrobe). 'mr soapie star from Cheshire', bleated and whined almost as much as the other chinless wonder. He showed a sliver of promise when rather than hitting the credit card or 'tab' to tuck into a hot meal in a cafe, he earned a few pounds offering to take tourist photos (it was I think the first day and he was still clean). So far so good, but THEN he rewarded himself by blowing it on booze down the pub. His rationale?- he didn't eat much anyway. Dare I say, this indicates the survival nous of a carrot. Honestly, after this his sheer presence must be lowering the property values in Cheshire. Perhaps for the benefit of regional real estate values he should be 'encouraged' to move. In the meantime, after this effort maybe mr soapie star is due for a well-overdue 'kill him off script' (*makes note to email this suggestion to the soapie writers*). Personally I would be surprised if he was actually a 'native' of Cheshire.

The comedian, disc jockey or whatever the other dude was was really neither here nor there although there did seem to be a sense of 'recognise me please' about his demeanour.

Now to the women. They seemed more resilient and dare I say, ethical. Apart from one lobbing up to Dolce and Gabbana to doss down in that designer's doorway, what wast notable was the way they actively sought to connect with people and try to find out what resources were available.

Overall, after day one if I was stuck in a difficult situation and I had a choice, I'd rather be on the girl team - no whining, no getting pissed and they found food and community and a designer deep doorway which gave the duel benefits of window shopping and a decent postcode. An excellent example of multi-tasking.

1 comment:

  1. chuckles and thinks I'd join the ladies myself if it came down to choosing a side. :) Well done Raph. Wonders if we get this show in the states?

    ReplyDelete